Re: Mechanism of building index with parallel

From: Ron <support_at_dbainfopower.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2004 23:00:30 -0800

Hello David,

  Here you go:
" Parallel index creation works in much the same way as a table scan with an

     ORDER BY clause.
     The table is randomly sampled and a set of index keys is found that
equally
     divides the index into the same number of pieces as the
     DOP(Degree of Parallelism).
     A first set of query processes scans the table, extracts key, ROWID
pairs,
     and sends each pair to a process in a second set of query processes
based
     on key. Each process in the second set sorts the keys and builds an
     in the usual fashion. After all index pieces are built, the parallel
query
     coordinator simply concatenates the pieces (which are ordered) to form
     the final index.

 "

Regards,

  Ron