percent used property of table

From: Richard Elliott <richard.a.elliott_at_williams.com>
Date: 24 Feb 2004 13:30:15 -0800

As I understand it this means a table with the default value of 40% will never have a row inserted into any block for that table unless there is at least 40% free space in that block as a result of deletions. Why would the default be so low ?, and does it make good sense to use a much higher value if the table is one that normally has a lot of inserts and deletes performed against it in the normal course of processing?

Trying to understand why some of my tables have high disk read ratios, and I find the same tables have lots of blocks, many many more blocks than can be explained by the number and length of rows.

Am I on the right track ? Received on Tue Feb 24 2004 - 15:30:15 CST