Re: rman recover/restore from backup

From: Richard Foote <richard.foote_at_bigpond.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2004 21:20:22 GMT

"Ron" <support_at_dbainfopower.com> wrote in message news:uvOdnXDtf7atp6fdRVn-jw_at_comcast.com...
> Hello Kapiza,
>
> The situation is that new database is already created and potentially in
> use by users.
>
> These steps allow to move tablespace from the old database backup to the
> new database.

And dear Ron, that's the problem isn't it ?

In *this* scenario, we have a new database that is *clearly not* in use by users. Why, because the OP told us. He said he had just created a new database in the hope of getting an operational database again, without knowing how to get data across from the old one. Therefore how can this new database be operational, there's *clearly* no data in it. How can users logon to the new database when the application doesn't know what customers it has, what products it sells, what address to send things too, as the new database has *no* data in it. The OP didn't know how to populate it with production data. *He told us* !!

Therefore, to help the OP out, we need to correctly diagnose the problem. The problem being his database was stuffed, he lost all his control files, help, this is what I've attempted to do. The *solution* therefore was to restore the control files and *fully* recover the *original* database. A TSPITR is *totally* the wrong way to go, *totally* inappropriate and a *totally* inferior solution as I mentioned previously.

And as mentioned by Howard on at least 10 separate occasions, Howard who offered the OP the *correct* solution in his *first* post.

However, not only have you never listened to us, you haven't even bothered to listen to the OP who *clearly* stated thankyou, *Howard's* solution has enabled me to *fully* recover my database without the need for any TSPITR.

You just don't get it do you. And what makes you move from silly to plain ridiculous is your refusal to accept your wrong and that Howard was right. Instead you accuse him of somehow acting improper and that the OP's scenario is somehow different from "Reality" (the name BTW of the best David Bowie tour I've ever seen ;) Again, don't take my word, ask the OP, it was his scenario that Howard was trying to help. How did he eventually fix his problem ...

A doctor that doesn't listen to his patients and diagnoses the wrong problem and hence provides the wrong medicine is clearly a *bad* doctor who shouldn't really be practicing. Same goes for a DBA ....

Ron, read this carefully. I strongly suggest a few little apologises might be appropriate to redeem what little reputation you have left, else I fear you Ron with Don might become the funniest comedy duo since "The Two Ron(nies)".

Cheers ;)

Richard Received on Mon Feb 23 2004 - 15:20:22 CST