Re: tools for PL/SQL development

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Sat, 21 Feb 2004 06:55:45 -0800

Howard J. Rogers wrote:

> "Daniel Morgan" <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu> wrote in message
>

>>You are limiting yourself to a small subset of the languages on this
>>planet ... I have students from many countries ... and to only a single
>>operating system. What good is all that GUI training when you get a job
>>and your boss shows you to your Ultra 5 workstation?
>>
>>If a developer can't work in SQL*Plus they are marginal at best. A DBA
>>that can't work in vi ... I'll restrain myself but imagine Sybrand's
>>response.

> Oh dear. As one who got stuck in Adelaide on a server without pico, I
> inventively (or so I thought) FTP'd the init.ora over into notepad, and then
> ftp'd it back, rather than face the wrath of vi.
>
> I guess that means I am a crap DBA. Probably not far from the truth,
> actually.
>
> Mea culpa. Mea culpa. Mea maxima culpa.
>
> Note to myself: Control+V is not eVil. Control+K will not Kill you.
>
> Let me add my tuppence ha'porth anyway. I can't teach syntax (well, OK, I
> can, but the students can learn that stuff from the Big Boys Book of Syntax,
> and I can add very little value there). What I teach is, er, understanding
> (well or badly, that's another story). And I find that understanding has
> nothing to do with the tool, and everything to do with the way it's taught.
>
> I tend to find that with a GUI, strange to say, the interface gets in the
> way. People are forever wondering what a particular icon means, or where
> they find a menu option. They spend so long wondering about where to go in
> the interface, they forget why they're in the interface in the first place.
>
> When there is no GUI, there is no distraction... except they have to know
> the syntax, and trying to get the syntax right is just as much a barrier to
> understanding as not knowing where to click, so there is a distraction after
> all.
>
> So GUI or CLI, makes no difference. The difference comes from those that can
> see the big picture, and retain some sense of what they're trying to
> achieve, and those that get bogged down in the minutiae of whatever
> interface they happen to be confronted with.
>
> I've thought long and hard about whether people should be made to do it CLI
> before being shown the GUI way, on the grounds that going via the CLI, they
> learn how to do it "properly". And I've come to the conclusion that argument
> is complete b****cks, because at the end of the day, we're here to satisfy
> business needs, not execute some theoretical piece of SQL in a theoretically
> perfect manner. So long as people know what they're doing and why, and can
> achieve it when the chips are down, that's the goal. The tools they use to
> do all of that is a matter of personal choice and, fundamentally, complete
> indifference.
>
> Anyway.
>
> Yours not in vi
> HJR
If you make it here I'll get you a seat in my UNIX & vi class for free just for making such an impassioned plea.

Well my friend ... if CLI is distracting and GUI is distracting ... and a year at the University of Washington costs less than the GUI software and allows you to work on UNIX machines and in multiple languages ... I'll stick with my original advice to the OP. Spend your money on education.

 From a perfectly selfish point of view (the OP's ... not mine as I don't get paid any more whether there is 1 student or 20) ... when you leave your current employer the GUI stays behind. The education you take with you. Bet you can't trump that argument. ;-)

--
Daniel Morgan
damorgan_at_x.washington.edu