Re: tools for PL/SQL development

From: Karsten Schmidt <groups_at_karsten-schmidt.com>
Date: 20 Feb 2004 10:46:06 -0800

Michael Legart <michaelnospam_at_hest.nu> wrote in message news:<slrnc3c918.me0.michaelnospam_at_kamel.legart.dk>...
> On 2004-02-20, Karsten Schmidt <groups_at_karsten-schmidt.com> wrote:
> > Hi,
> > IMO, using tools like Toad etc is far too dangerous in the hands of
> > developers,
> > this is really just point and click, and oops, accidently dropped a
> > trigger i didn't mean to, or changed a stored procedure in-line,
>
> I have seen this kind of comment a few times now, but I can't see why
> this is a problem?
>
> Developers develop on the development database(s) (heh) and should be
> able to be as productive as possible using different tools.
>
> People don't develop code on production databases, do they?

unfortunately, they do. More often than you would believe, and not just in small companies.
and once they are used to it, it's really hard to get them out again.

mind you, there is nothing one can do to stop them using toad, once they have the passwords (which they do need, in order to do emergency fixes for things that have been screwed in that fashion)

on pure development systems i don't mind toad / pl-sql developer etc.

Karsten Received on Fri Feb 20 2004 - 12:46:06 CST