Re: WINODS NT SERVER Oracle - roblem starting oracle from Microsoft Terminal Server Remote Deskto

From: Paul Drake <drak0nian_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 20 Feb 2004 08:44:47 -0800

"Niall Litchfield" <n-litchfield_at_audit-commission.gov.uk> wrote in message news:<4035d6cb$0$10333$ed9e5944_at_reading.news.pipex.net>...
> Hi Paul
>
> This changed a bit with (I think) 9.2
>
> <quote>
> Windows Terminal Servers
> Oracle supports Terminal Services on Windows 2000 Server, Windows 2000
> Advanced Server, and Windows 2000 Datacenter.
>
> The following products and features are not supported on Windows Terminal
> Servers or Windows XP Remote Desktop:
>
> a.. Installation of Oracle9i server components from a remote Terminal
> Services Client onto a Windows 2000 server that is running Terminal Server
> Service or a Windows NT 4.0 Terminal Server is unsupported. If you attempt
> to install Oracle9i in this manner, many database configuration tools hang.
> Examples includes Oracle Database Upgrade Assistant, Database Configuration
> Assistant, Oracle Internet Directory Configuration Assistant, and Oracle
> Workflow Configuration Assistant. Start all configuration tools from the
> Terminal Server console and not from the Terminal Services Client.
>
> b.. Connection Manager
>
> c.. Oracle Fail Safe
>
> d.. Oracle HTTP Server
>
> e.. Oracle Migration Workbench
>
> f.. Oracle Names
>
> g.. Oracle Object Link Manager
>
> h.. Oracle Services for Microsoft Transaction Server
>
> i.. Server Management (SRVM)
> </quote>
> In particular the unix style
>
> set oracle_sid=sid
> sqlplus system/manager
>
> works fine with 9.2 and using a terminal services console.
> lsnrctl works as well.
>
> so there are some restrictions, in particular TS needs to be in remote
> administration mode and not application server mode (as far as I understand
> it).
>

> --
> Niall Litchfield
> Oracle DBA
> Audit Commission UK

Server configured in remote administration mode.

connection with sqlplus over bequeath via remote desktop (terminal services client) fails with 9.2.0.4 / w2k adv svr sp4.

connection with sqlplus over bequeath via remote desktop (terminal services client) succeeds with 9.2.0.4 / w2k3 svr.

connection with lsnrctl over bequeath via remote desktop (terminal services client) fails with 8.1.7.4.12 / w2k adv svr sp4.

connection with lsnrctl over bequeath via remote desktop (terminal services client) succeeds with 9.2.0.4 / w2k adv svr sp4.

Pd Received on Fri Feb 20 2004 - 10:44:47 CST