Re: WINODS NT SERVER Oracle - roblem starting oracle from Microsoft Terminal Server Remote Deskto

From: Niall Litchfield <n-litchfield_at_audit-commission.gov.uk>
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2004 09:43:39 -0000

Hi Paul

This changed a bit with (I think) 9.2

<quote>
Windows Terminal Servers
Oracle supports Terminal Services on Windows 2000 Server, Windows 2000 Advanced Server, and Windows 2000 Datacenter.

The following products and features are not supported on Windows Terminal Servers or Windows XP Remote Desktop:

  a.. Installation of Oracle9i server components from a remote Terminal Services Client onto a Windows 2000 server that is running Terminal Server Service or a Windows NT 4.0 Terminal Server is unsupported. If you attempt to install Oracle9i in this manner, many database configuration tools hang. Examples includes Oracle Database Upgrade Assistant, Database Configuration Assistant, Oracle Internet Directory Configuration Assistant, and Oracle Workflow Configuration Assistant. Start all configuration tools from the Terminal Server console and not from the Terminal Services Client.

  b.. Connection Manager

  c.. Oracle Fail Safe

  d.. Oracle HTTP Server

  e.. Oracle Migration Workbench

  f.. Oracle Names

  g.. Oracle Object Link Manager

  h.. Oracle Services for Microsoft Transaction Server

  i.. Server Management (SRVM)
</quote>
In particular the unix style

set oracle_sid=sid
sqlplus system/manager

works fine with 9.2 and using a terminal services console. lsnrctl works as well.

so there are some restrictions, in particular TS needs to be in remote administration mode and not application server mode (as far as I understand it).

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA