Defrag 8i DB

From: Jeff McClure <jeffrey_mcclure_at_wideopenwest.com>
Date: 20 Feb 2004 00:46:30 -0800

Folks,

I need to defrag my DB (as well as reorg) for performance reasons. I have been looking through various postings and papers and one struck me. It is a white paper posted on URL:
http://otn.oracle.com/deploy/availability/pdf/defrag.pdf. It suggests using the SAFE algorithm to eliminate defragmentation. Within the paper, it suggests using segment sizes of 160K, 5120K and 160M as required. Where did these numbers come from? Being an old school DBA, I learned that the most efficient disk access came from using a multiple of the physical buffer size (generally 512K). Although, these are in fact multiples of that buffer, they do not evenly divide into the standard block sizes (mine is 8K). Can someone explain to me how this is more efficent and why I should consider changing extent size throughout my DB to fit this scheme? The performance of my DB is lack-luster, at best and as it has exceeded 30 GB, I would like to get it all under control.

Thanks for your input.

Jeff Received on Fri Feb 20 2004 - 02:46:30 CST