Standby: Managed or Automatic?

From: ITAPORT06 <mokat67_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 15 Feb 2004 23:17:38 +0100

I work with Oracle 8i 8.1.7.4 on WINNT & 2K

I did setup a Standby database envirnoment and found out (that for several reason which I still have to reasearch) that not all archive loggings where send to the the Standby server.

The Standby server didnot apply the missing loggings which I shipped over manually. Server was in Managred mode.

I shut down the server and brought the server back in Automatic mode:

RECOVER AUTOMATIC STANDBY DATABASE All manual shipped loggings were applied succesfully.

Mine question is:

Is it not handier to make use of the Automatic option instead of the managed?

The loggings wil be shipped by the NET8 configuration and if something will go wrong then there will be a synchronisation job running which willl ship the logs that failed to be shipped earlier by NET8 (This can happen because of a network errors etc etc)

A scheduled job on the standby server will apply the logs by activating the Recover Automatic standby option every X minutes

The reason why I want to use this method is:

We do not have the resources to check the oracle servers frequently if all loggings have been shipped to the standby server. If one of the logs does not have been shipped then we will find this out much later. I try to prevent this by adding also the synchonisation job and making use of the Automatic option.

My questions:

  1. Is this method ok or do you think it is still beter to go for the " managed " method. Take as fact that we can not check the server frequently for missing shipped logs and that we have network problems now and then.
  2. What are the real pro's for making use of the Managed method.

Thanks Received on Sun Feb 15 2004 - 16:17:38 CST