Re: rman recover/restore from backup

From: Howard J. Rogers <hjr_at_dizwell.com>
Date: Sun, 15 Feb 2004 14:30:07 +1100

"Ron" <support_at_dbainfopower.com> wrote in message news:2Lqdnd0OwuJGeLPdRVn-vw_at_comcast.com...

> Hello Howard,
>
> Here is the user request.
>

> "After creating a new partition for the data files, I ran dbca to create
new
> database files.
>
> I would like to get the users tablespace stuff out of the backups and
put
> it into the new database that was created by dbca.
> ..
>
> Is there not some way to basically take the .bck files, extract the users
> tablespace and put it into the existing database?
> "

OK. So answer the guy's question then. Can he take the RMAN backups and extract the USERS tablespace from them?

Let me give you a clue: No, is the correct answer.

He can take his RMAN backups and recover from them. But then why would he want to export something he has already recovered?

TSPITR means transporting something into a functioning database, not a magic way of pulling stuff out of RMAN backups.

> Please, please, lets stop this.

Be my guest: just stop posting tripe, and I'll stop calling you on it. In particular, stop misleading people, and I'll stop having to respond to your inanity.

> I corrected you, so please, accept this.

You're sadly misguided if you think an irrelevant reference to TSPITR is any form of correction at all.

HJR Received on Sat Feb 14 2004 - 21:30:07 CST