Re: Oracle 10g kills 8i listener

From: Howard J. Rogers <hjr_at_dizwell.com>
Date: Sat, 14 Feb 2004 08:41:27 +1100

"Xuequn Xu" <xux_at_informa.bio.caltech.edu> wrote in message news:c0jff3$3sv$1_at_naig.caltech.edu...
> Just want to share some intersting experience and observations:
>
> I installed Oracle 10g on Solaris 5.8, and on the same box there is
> another Oracle 8i instance installed and running, with a separate
> ORACLE_HOME (8.1.7.4). I found that the moment I startup the 10g instance
> the 8i listener stopped responding. Further testing showed that this
> only happens when the 10g database is about to open (i.e. startup nomount
> and startup mount does NOT make this happen). The 8i listener is running
> at port 1521. This must be that the 10g instance cannot do service
> registration with an 8i listener. Had to resolve this by running 10g's
> own listener at another port (in my case 1526), and specify the
> LOCAL_LISTENER parameter in 10g, pointing to a tnsnames.ora entry
> that resolves the new listener.

Not related, I suppose... but if you visit tahiti.oracle.com and enquire about Service Registration for 10g, you get taken to the relevant Net Administration reference manual (remember, this is having clicked on the 10g documentation link). Guess what? You get such gems as:

"For Oracle9i and Oracle8i databases, the listener uses the dynamic service information..." (Yes, but what about 10g??)

And

See Also:
Oracle9i Database Reference for further information about the SERVICE_NAMES and INSTANCE_NAME parameters

Why is a 10g manual directing me to the 9i Database Reference manual?

The 10g documentation wouldn't be a (bad) cut-and-paste job from the 9i material by any chance, would it??

Regards
HJR

Oracle Insights: www.dizwell.com