Re: move db from sun solaris sparc to solaris intel

From: Anurag Varma <avdbi_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2004 04:42:50 GMT

"Van Basten" <marco_van_basten_64_at_yahoo.com> wrote in message news:c1af5eb6.0402101713.55e5bae1_at_posting.google.com...
> Hi, I need to move an instance that is currently sitting on a Sun
> Sparc Solaris 8 to another server which is Sun Solaris Intel. I am
> just wondering is there any easy way to do that besides export and
> import? Since they are different O/S, I assume I can't copy datafiles
> right? The reason I ask is this is a 100GB db and it's going to take
> a long time(and downtime) to export and import.
>
> Thanks.

In this newsgroup it has been discussed and suggested various ways to do this move
without any major downtime.

Advanced Replication + Offline Instantiation Oracle Streams
Shareplex

... have been listed as possible tools to achieve this goal.

Based on money (for Shareplex) / experience, you can use any of them to move the database.

Search the Google archives.

Anurag Received on Tue Feb 10 2004 - 22:42:50 CST