Re: Is there a Database event that occurs when a row is inserted/updated in a table?

From: Niall Litchfield <n-litchfield_at_audit-commission.gov.uk>
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2004 13:38:59 -0000

Hi Jack

FWIW I'm not aware of *any* RDBMS that does this. I'm not quite as convinced as you of the need either.

Advantages of Triggers:
Can be before or after insert
Can be row or statement level
Can be disabled/enabled
Are a stable and mature technology
Fire no matter what application is getting at the data.

Advantages of Database Events
Might have to write less code.(would have to rewrite for every app that might access the db though)
Have a choice of programming languages.

I can't really construct a compelling case as you can see.

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA