Re: Options for wide-area database?

From: Ernest Siu <ernestsiu_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 9 Feb 2004 10:06:42 -0800

Notice that my intent is to deploy a wide-area oracle, DR/BC only comes in as bonus. The main concern is to serve clients across a wide distance with the highest data consistency possible. My real question is: usually a nation-wide db will be deployed with advanced replication, but if RAC can actually maintain the same db over multiple servers (vs replication data that is not up-to-date), can't we spread the distance of RAC servers if those servers can see the 'same disk'?

'Same disk' --> basically using a wide-area SAN or wide-area NAS.

Sorry for my ignorance, but I'm not sure what you mean by the comment below:
> > 4. Duplicate the SAN, or use NAS to save money, and spend your money
> > on network.

By duplicating SAN, that sounds like I have to do advance replication.  Actually is option 4 even a viable solution at all (1000miles!) because the RAC cluster exchange at host level may kill the performance. Anybody's done that before?

Ernest