Re: Fighting ORA-00600[12421]: DROP+CREATE INDEX works, REBUILD INDEX not ...

From: Anurag Varma <avdbi_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 09 Feb 2004 14:52:44 GMT

"Jan Gelbrich" <j_gelbrich_at_westfalen-blatt.de> wrote in message news:c085cj$lsqae$1_at_ID-152732.news.uni-berlin.de...
> Hello,
>
> I wonder if somebody else had encountered something similar to the following
> concerning
> ORA-00600 [12421][][][][]...:
>
> Background:
> Oracle EE 8.1.7.3 on AIX 4.3.3
> Oracle Report, Query consisting of 7 SELECTS with UNIONs
>
> The story:
> The report runs well over weeks and is used ca. 10 users.
> Then it throws ORA-00600 [12421]. The user phones to us.
>
> A developer in my team said
> "Oh, that one again ... drop and recreate that index ABC !"
> -
> Because I thought that DROP and CREATE was just their old habit
> as they did not know about REBUILD, I made a rebuild of index ABC.
> BTW, it is a very simple index: one column only
>
> Start Report, crash: still ORA-00600 [12421].
---snip--

> Any comments are greatly appreciated.
>
> TIA, Jan

Drop + Recreate is not the same as rebuild, since in rebuild the index itself is used for the rebuild.

Thus if your index is corrupted (which might be why its throwing ORA-600), if you issue a rebuild, the corruption will be there in the rebuilt index also. Thus for corrupted indexes, its best if you drop and recreate.

That said, if you are having this problem regularly then you need to find the cause.

Open an iTar and find the cause of the corruption.

Anurag Received on Mon Feb 09 2004 - 08:52:44 CST