Re: The Denis Prize

From: Joel Garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 5 Feb 2004 14:34:54 -0800

Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu> wrote in message news:<1075949823.264404_at_yasure>...
> Joel Garry wrote:
>
> > Didn't think you are being mean. Just pointing out it's not generous
> > within the context of commercial payment.
>
> I've stayed out of this one until now ... but I feel compelled to state
> an opinion.
>
> Howard's offer is extremely generous when weighed against the fact that
> you are free to ignore it.

I was responding to another post that said it was generous. Then when Howard took issue with that, I explained it in a manner which I hoped would reconcile what people heard with what I meant, and perhaps help people clarify in their own minds what they would want to do with such a task. I think weighing it against whether people can ignore it is the same argument spammers use.

Would you rather I flamed him for not posting on cdo.marketplace? Are you saying the mere fact that he posted here instead of there should have given a non-commercial context to it?

> Given there are a lot of unemployed people with skills and time on their
> hands it might well be a month's worth of income for a few weeks work
> and help someone keep the mortgage paid and food on the table.

You don't think that this offer might be disinflationary? I'm sure there are plenty of $11,000/year programmers geographically closer to Howard who would have a different opinion than mine. (I tried to avoid bringing that up, I really tried...)

Hey, if I knew anyone who needed such work I would send them a link. A year ago I knew people who did.

> But if you think Howard hasn't offered enough ... by all means step up
> to the plate and add to the reward. I doubt he'd refuse your offer.

I thought my post made clear the distinction between commercial and open-source mindsets as to whether the money was enough. Howard's subsequent post seems to indicate more clearly the latter intent of his offer. There's nothing wrong with that. Hard to tell from the original post.

Come on people, the reason for this group is to critically examine posts about Oracle to improve their accuracy. Right? I commented on a forecast of programming, and stand by it. If you want to advocate cheap programming, be my guest. If you can deliver an acceptable finished product to Howard's fuzzy specs in a few hours, more power to you.

I would advise a close look at Brian Peasland's .sig.

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
Funny how Larry's offer for Peoplesoft expires on the same day as the