Re: The Denis Prize

From: Paul Drake <drak0nian_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 4 Feb 2004 23:20:31 -0800

Wolfram Roesler <wr_at_grp.de> wrote in message news:<Xns94839BDE63372wrgrpde_at_130.133.1.4>...
> "Howard J. Rogers" <hjr_at_dizwell.com> wrote in
>
> > I would like to offer $5000 (aussie dollars, that is, which I realise
> > makes this as valuable as a Zimbabwean tobacco farm in a drought) to
> > the first person that can produce an install of Oracle for Linux that
> > works with the mere insertion of a CD. Said install must work with all
> > and any Linux distributions (it's all the same operating system, after
> > all, isn't it?). It must be as automatic as the, cough, Windows
> > install is.
>
> ROTFL, the last time we installed 9i on Windows it took at least
> three TARs and as many reinstalls to get it to run. Just try to
> use an install directory like c:\program files\oracle9 and have
> fun.

with a big enuff hammer and enuff iterations, got that to work with oui for an oracle client on 9.2 (0 TARs). (C:\progra~1\oracle\ora92, I think you mean) never attempted on the server side - D:\oracle\ora92 has never failed me.

then again, why did you want to force oracle software under c:\program files?
(sounds of Geddy Lee singing of hachet, axe and saw run thru mee 'ead).

I think that a properly escalated, single TAR should have done it for you.
perhaps you need to view a presentation on working with oracle support and read the following doc:

http://www.nyoug.org/presentations.htm
http://www.nyoug.org/o_support01.pdf

Pd Received on Thu Feb 05 2004 - 01:20:31 CST