Re: Multiple installation of the same version on one machine?

From: Sybrand Bakker <gooiditweg_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Sat, 31 Jan 2004 10:58:09 +0100

On 31 Jan 2004 09:00:56 GMT, Holger Marzen <holger_at_marzen.de> wrote:

> Or do you see a big difference between running 2 sets
>of the same version and Oracle 8 and 9 on the same machine?

Of course.
The latter is upgrading to a major release. The former is just plain daft as 'something went wrong' is unspecified, and the customer probably doesn't even have anything else than vague suspicions.
Other than that, I know running two copies of the same version of Oracle is just a plain PITA, one customer is forcing us to do that. The server is such a plain utter mess (it has 8.1.6 installed three times, and 8.0.6 installed three times), that the only sensible thing to do is to scratch it, and install everything all over again, make sure you don't end this time with thousands of scripts with hardcoded Oracle_homes in it. (I'm definitely NOT joking) We wouldn't have done it this way, but this drama is enforced upon us by having three different installations of Oracle Financials on one server.

--
Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA