Re: table operator on table of rowids

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2004 16:30:24 +0000 (UTC)

Notes in-line:

--
Regards

Jonathan Lewis
http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk

  The educated person is not the person
  who can answer the questions, but the
  person who can question the answers -- T. Schick Jr

Next public appearances:
 Jan 29th 2004 UKOUG Unix SIG -  v$ and x$
 March 2004 Hotsos Symposium - The Burden of Proof
 March 2004 Charlotte NC OUG - CBO Tutorial
 April 2004 Iceland

One-day tutorials:
http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk/tutorial.html

Three-day seminar:
see http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk/seminar.html
____UK___February
____UK___June

The Co-operative Oracle Users' FAQ

"Daniel Morgan" <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu> wrote in message

> Chris Bateman wrote:
> >
> > OPEN my_ref_cursor FOR
> > SELECT *
> > FROM some_table
> > WHERE rowid IN (SELECT * from TABLE(CAST(plsql_table AS
> > rowid_table)));
> >
> > TIA
> > Chris
>
> You apparently do not understand the concept of a ROWID. A rowid is a
> mapping to a location on a hard disk. As a PL/SQL table does not have a
> datafile or block ... the concept is meaningless.

I hope you cheer up when the sun comes out, Daniel, you're getting very crabby these days. create table t1 (rid rowid) declare type t_rid is table of t1.rid%type index by pls_integer; begin null; end; / Look, I've got a pl/sql table of rowids, even though pl/sql tables don't have rowids because they don't sit in blocks in files. The poster's problem is that he can't cast() a pl/sql table like this to use as an IN subquery - but he also is not allowed to create an object type which is an object-table for rowids, which he could cast if only it were legal. Lurking somewhere on my website is a horrid, and inefficient piece of code demonstrating how to access a pl/sql table from SQL as if it were the result of a query - but I think it was written for v7, and I can't remember what the URL is. Possibly if the OP can find it, he can enhance it for v8/9.