Re: table operator on table of rowids

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2004 07:51:59 -0800

Chris Bateman wrote:

> Is it possible to use the table operator on a PL/SQL table containing
> rowids?
>
> As far as I can tell, the table operator can only be used on
> schema-level table types, not table types declared in PL/SQL. Schema
> table types are not allowed to be 'table of rowid' and schema level
> object types - of which I could create a table - are not allowed to
> have attributes of type rowid.
>
> What I'm trying to achieve is something like the following without
> having to use dynamic SQL to create the in list.
>
> OPEN my_ref_cursor FOR
> SELECT *
> FROM some_table
> WHERE rowid IN (SELECT * from TABLE(CAST(plsql_table AS
> rowid_table)));
>
> TIA
> Chris

You apparently do not understand the concept of a ROWID. A rowid is a mapping to a location on a hard disk. As a PL/SQL table does not have a datafile or block ... the concept is meaningless.

I would suggest you go to http://tahiti.oracle.com and look up the ROWID and the DBMS_ROWID built-in package and get more background about what a rowid is.

--
Daniel Morgan
damorgan_at_x.washington.edu