Re: Enterprise Manager Console (standalone) won't start

From: Howard J. Rogers <hjr_at_dizwell.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2004 19:41:04 +1100

"Daniel Morgan" <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu> wrote in message news:1075272807.137961_at_yasure...
> Eric wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > After I enter in "system" and "manager" for user and pass and click on
OK,
> > it won't go any further. What's wrong? How do I trouble-shoot it?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Eric
>
> The userid and password for OEM is not system/manager?
>
> Try two things:
>
> 1. sysman/oem_temp
> 2. RTFineM
>
> If that doesn't do it ... respond with information that might help
> someone help you such as version number, operating system, error
> messages, the usual suspects.

Well, sysman/oem_temp is only of relevance if he's running OEM in full n-tier mode, and his subject-line says he isn't. So he's using merely by-passing the OEM log on, and selecting a database directly in the database tree on the left-hand side. When he double-clicks one of his database entries, it prompts him for a log on, and that's the *database* log on, not the Management Server log on. So SYSTEM is a perfectly acceptable account to use.

However, given he's running 9i (because the ability to connect the OEM console directly to databases didn't materialise until then), it is most unlikely that 'MANAGER' is SYSTEM's password. If he created his database as part of the install, or via dbca, he would have been prompted to supply a password for SYS and SYSTEM, and 'manager' is not an acceptable offering for the SYSTEM one.

So, to Eric directly: what makes you think that SYSTEM's password is 'manager'? Have you fired up SQL*Plus and successfully logged in with those particular credentials? If not, and you can't remember what SYSTEM's password actually is, then try logging on as "/ as sysdba" in a command prompt SQL*Plus session, and issuing the command 'alter user system identified by blah'... pick a password slightly more convincing than 'blah', though. Then using precisely that new password, try OEM again.

Regards
HJR

--
Oracle insights at www.dizwell.com