Re: Oracle Directory Replication

From: Mark Bole <makbo_at_pacbell.net>
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2004 03:09:00 GMT

grz02 wrote:

>>There's an 800-page OID admin guide with an
>>entire chapter devoted to replication.

> Yes, I assume you mean the manual "Internet Directory Administrator's Guide"?
> Well, there is a "conceptual" description there,
> but no mapping to actual db-objects, tables, columns...
> which would be very helpful for troubleshooting.
> Part of it you can figure out or "reverse-engineer",
> but feels a bit shaky working that way...
>
> Regards,

By coincidence, I had a recent conversation with a SQL developer regarding the need to get familiar with the internals of OID (in addition to the DBMS_LDAP package, of course).

I'm ambivalent between the desire to "peek under the covers" (reverse engineer) on the one hand, and the need to use the appropriate client software for the job on the other.

In the end, I don't really want to know which internal Oracle tables are used to implement LDAP, because they're probably going to change in the next release... If I can't get it to work using the shrink-wrap tools that Oracle provides, then I would consider looking for another product...

--Mark Bole Received on Tue Jan 27 2004 - 21:09:00 CST