Re: Load balancing between an RAC database cluster and Top Link

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2004 11:46:26 -0800

Brian Peasland wrote:

>>Daniel, Brian Peasland admits that this is not really cheap solution, so I'm
>>totally lost. I will wonder if you or Sybrand will not tell that this is
>>DIFFICULT to deploy if someone will ask "is it difficult?".

> Whether a HA solution is "cheap" or "expensive" means different things
> to different businesses. It has to be that specific business that
> decides if it is cheap or expensive within the constraints of that
> business.

How correct you are. What is cheap for Amazon.com would put mere mortals into bankruptcy. The loss in dollars for every minute Amazon is down is a number too large for mere mortal minds to contemplate (takes politicians to do it).

But Andrey's primary problem is one related to reading comprehension. Not once did I say it was cheap. It may be cost-effective but cheap it isn't going to be. What I said was the it was easily deployed. And if anyone wishes to disagree with me on that point I'll gladly take on the project at my standard consulting rate and prove my point. ;-)

--
Daniel Morgan
damorgan_at_x.washington.edu