Re: oracle 8.1.5 performance problems

From: Dusan Bolek <pagesflames_at_usa.net>
Date: 27 Jan 2004 07:48:17 -0800

gavin_balaam_at_yahoo.co.uk (tractor boy) wrote in message news:<17048108.0401270345.539a0832_at_posting.google.com>...
> I have a problem with an Oracle 8.1.5 database in that
> recently the database seems to be running very slowly.
>
> I have tried
> 1) rebuild indexes
> 2) Analaysis NT performance
> 3) checking fragmentation
>
> But it would seem that connecting, selecting data is
> slow. I spent a couple of days on the net trying find
> solutions but have not had much success.
>
> Currently exporting a database is horrendously slow,
> and the tables returned are in a random order.
>
> I have also has suggested that maybe the sys user is
> casuing problems.
>
> How can I find out if the sys user is causing
> problems, and how do I fix it?
>
> Any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated

  1. you're running on unsupported version
  2. user SYS is unlikely to cause any problems in normal setup
  3. you told us *NOTHING*, so it will be hard to help you
  4. personally I would start with V$SESSION_WAIT + V$WAITSTAT and look for the worst events. This could give some kind of direction. If you will post me a result, I can help probably tell where you should look futher.
--
Dusan Bolek