Re: Load balancing between an RAC database cluster and Top Link

From: Brian Peasland <dba_at_remove_spam.peasland.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2004 18:44:05 GMT

> Configuration you describe seems to me very expensive and hard to deploy.

Yes, it can be expensive. But many companies justify the cost by determining how much revenue they would lose for every minute of downtime. In many cases, the potential for lost revenue is more than worth the cost for a HA solution as proposed by the OP. And there are other business reasons to deploy a solution that is costly. Where I work, we have to support many government related entities where access to the data can make a difference in loss of property, or worse...death. Is it worth it to deploy an "expensive" solution. Certainly. So that's why we are looking at RAC (or 10g Grids) and other solutions, even though they are more expensive than a non-HA solution.

And while it is certainly more difficult to deploy a HA solution when compared many non-HA solutions, that doesn't mean that it isn't worth doing. It's not impossible. And with appropriate staff, it isn't even really that difficult.

I am in no position to say whether or not the OP's configuration is really necessary. But I would hope that management wouldn't just have an open check book for implementing such a solution if it weren't necessary for thier business requirements. To do so would be bad business practices.

Cheers,
Brian

Brian Peasland
dba_at_remove_spam.peasland.com