Re: Replicating Oracle DB Tables to SQL Server 2000 DB

From: Brian Peasland <dba_at_remove_spam.peasland.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2004 18:46:00 GMT

Another option is to use SQL Server's Data Transformation Services (DTS) to pull the data from Oracle into SQL Server. The tool should be able to handle conversion between the different data types. And you can schedule your saved DTS package and schedule it to run on a periodic basis.

Cheers,
Brian

Jeremy wrote:

> Greetings,
> I am hoping someone can help and lead me in the correct direction
> on a situation my company's facing.
>
> We run and support MSSQL 2000. We have a project that requires
> access to data that is being collected from all over the US, but this
> data is all collected in an Oracle database. This Oracle database is
> not on our network.
>
> One of our options would be to purchase Oracle and hire a
> full-time Oracle DBA. Not the option we want unless we absolutely have
> to.
>
> So, what needs to be done to sync up or replicate the tables (on
> a nightly basis) that are in Oracle to our MSSQL 2000 database?
>
> How is the issue of different data types (ie: converting number
> to int) handled?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Jeremy

Brian Peasland