Re: HELP! migrating from NT to UNIX

From: Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfield_at_dial.pipex.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2004 17:49:12 -0000

"Andrey" <adm_at_mlm.ru> wrote in message news:bv2o2p$rub$1_at_gavrilo.mtu.ru...
> > Four major companies that used to be in the World Trade Center are out
> > of business. Bankrupt. Gone. Not just because of the 9/11 tragedy but
> > specifically because they lost their corporate data.
> >
> > Perhaps the OP's migration won't kill anyone. Perhaps it is not a
> > database belonging to an engineering company, a hospital, an
> > intelligence agency, or whatever.
> >
> > Apparently the fact that the OP was unethical is unimportant to you.
> > Apparently the fact that he might make an extremely expensive mess and
> > cost people their jobs isn't important to you. Apparently if some other
> > person with a "great personality" did it to you or a member of your
> > family you wouldn't mind. Well if so why are you criticizing us? Why
> > aren't you posting the solution to the OP's question?
> >
> > My suspicion ... if you actually knew enough to help the OP ... you'd
> > also know enough to not do so in this situation.
>
> Daniel, all what you wrote above is subject of divine mercy and insurance
> staff. Why don't you help OP with books, goods, food, etc? All you can
issue
> is "do not touch anything" or "Goto oracle.com" advices. People can care
> about themselves even if they work with Oracle.

Perhaps you can point me to the insurance company that will cover for backups which were taken, but were lost along with the data centre when they weren't taken off-site as per normal practice.

Dan and Sy have both offered relatively sensible advice and links to the OP. Like them I have difficulties in dealing with someone who says 'I've just got myself hired to do a job I cannot do, please help'.

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA