Re: 9iAS/10gAS infrastructure.

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2004 09:49:26 -0800

Telemachus wrote:

> RANT MODE ON
> Last couple of weeks I've been trying to put together an architecture for a
> new highly available production internet web services and database
>
> W2K is the platform so 10G AS not available.
>
> Great I thought I can use Oracle Maximum Availability papers
>

> I did - oh boy are there holes. Check MAA for details on IAS infrastruc HA -
> you won't find many.
>
> The database - yes - completely solid - these are technologies - RAC,Data
> Guard and Standby etc etc - great no problem I can live with them
>
> Switchover WANs network side firewalls - same here.
>

> Even OC4J islands - yes these I can live with.
>
> But have any of you really tried to make the 9iAS R2 infrastructure (SSO/
> Metadata and so forth ) - highly available ?
>
> The only 9 supported solution is via clustering ! The database can't be on
> RAC and it must be a 9.0 database ... Why oh Why ?
>

> (oh and unless you've patched you CAN'T CHANGE THE IP ADDRESS or the
> HOSTNAME ! OF THE SERVER ) and even if you do patch all you can change is
> the IP address
> [ this was closed as a documentation bug !!!! ]
>
> [ this one caught me when setting up a 9iAS box on my net for dispatch to a
> client site - the machine went down and joined their net and didn't work ]
>

> Then I read the 10g docs hoping for an early reprieve - but again we can
> see a thread here.
>
> in a 10G AS DR site the machines must all have the same amount of hardware,
> the same config and , and the same hostnames . There's a common something
> running through all this that leads me to believe there were some strange
> decisions made in the design process for the Infra. And it's not explained
> properly anywhere why this must be so. (the locked-in reliance on particular
> hosts - which can't be changed )
>
> COLD FAILOVER CLUSTERS.... groan.
>
> Come on isn't it just an LDAP directory + a database ? .. But hang on the
> LDAP directory's in the db too. Do tell Oracle.
>
> RANT MODE OFF
>
> PS
> Hi everyone nice to talk to you all again
>
> Telemachus.

If you are truly trying to create HA then lets review what you need.

  1. Two air conditioners
  2. Power backup systems with separate diesel generators
  3. Double routers, switches, and hubs
  4. Double disk arrays
  5. Double cabling
  6. Transparent Fail-over capability for all components

I doubt the App Server software is the only issue. Is someone really putting up the several million dollars for the supporting infrastructure?

--
Daniel Morgan
damorgan_at_x.washington.edu