Re: Database Link Resources

From: makbo <makbo_at_pacbell.net>
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2004 17:19:39 GMT

Stu wrote:

> Hello All,
>
> We're working on a fairly complex situation here and I was hoping for
> a little outside knowlede on Database Links.
>
> We're connecting to one database using WebLogic. Within the
> application, we make a call to a stored procedure that is located
> within another database. This is done via the DBLink.
>
> What's happening is that we are running out of resources in the second
> DB.

[...]
> Weblogic, of course, says to access the DB's directly using JDBC, and
> NOT to use the link (not an option for us due to security reasons).

If the application can access and modify data in the remote database via the link, how is that any more secure than accessing and modifying data by logging in directly?

I'm guessing the concern is with making the password available to your Weblogic app for direct login. A DB link makes it possible to "hide" the remote database password from the app, but you could also hide the password yourself in a table in the first database (protected via GRANTs), or in a Java properties file (protected at the OS level). Have your app read the password at run-time and use it to make the connection to the remote database directly (kind of a home-grown version of a DB link).

As stated by a previous poster, it does seem ridiculous that the remote database won't allow at least as many active sessions as the local one.

-Mark Bole Received on Thu Jan 22 2004 - 11:19:39 CST