Re: 9iRAC archive logs and RMAN backups

From: Brian Peasland <dba_at_remove_spam.peasland.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2004 17:23:22 GMT

RMAN does not write to the archived logs. That job is essentially for ARCn to do. RMAN will read the archived redo logs. And it does need write access to the archive log destination if you tell RMAN to DELETE INPUT when backing up the archived redo logs. And it needs write access to the archive log destination when restoring the archived redo logs from the backup. But RMAN does not actually write information into the archived redo logs themselves.

HTH,
Brian

Jim Carter wrote:

> I have a question concerning the archive logs in an Oracle9i RAC
> implementation. We need to mount the archive logs read-write on the
> system where the instance is running but we'd like to mount them
> read-only on the other RAC nodes. If we use RMAN to back up the
> database and archive logs does RMAN require write access to the
> archive logs?

Brian Peasland
dba_at_remove_spam.peasland.com

 the three"