Re: Dumb & Vague OCP Questions ...

From: Paul Drake <drak0nian_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 21 Jan 2004 22:24:07 -0800

domenicg_at_hotmail.com (Domenic G.) wrote in message news:<c7e08a19.0401211751.5cd7165e_at_posting.google.com>...
> I've been a DBA for several years, but now plan on getting certified
> because so many employers won't even hire these days without it. I
> just took a practice test, and scored 9/10 without a time limit, but
> the stupidity, irrelevance, and vagueness of some of the questions
> really floored me. Some of the questions were downright MISLEADING.
> Example: using a password file with remote_login ... set to shared.
> The whole point is to set it to exclusive so that you can add SYSDBA
> users into the file with a grant sysdba. Why do they ask about a
> setting that isn't supposed to be used? Then they ask if Oracle Net
> is part of OSI -- what the hell is OSI? -- the only OSI I know is
> from the Six Million Dollar Man and Bionic Woman series. Dumb
> questions.
>
> Dom.

http://www.techweb.com/encyclopedia/defineterm?term=OSImodel

cat5 cable plugged in, light lit, layer 1. switch has MAC address in its tables, layer 2. routing setup properly, layer 3.
packet exchanged, layer 4.
session created, layer 5.
vpn tunnel decrypted, layer 6.
results displayed in sqlplus, layer 7.

start with the lowest layer and work your way up, never the reverse. ping won't always work, as lots of places block all ICMP.

that's a start.

Pd Received on Thu Jan 22 2004 - 00:24:07 CST