Re: Many Small Oracle Databases

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2004 20:42:04 -0800

Charles wrote:

> All,
>
> I manage Oracle/UNIX and MS-SQL Server databases in a large company.
>
> For smaller databases (100MB - 10GB) I always give the developer a SQL
> Server database since it it very quick and easy to create on a shared
> SQL Server that already has many other databases on it. The Oracle
> databases are mostly very large SAP instances.
>
> But today I was challenged to give a reason why I do not give out lots
> of small Oracle/UNIX databases. I am formulating a business strategy
> for choosing the DBMS to use for apps.
>
> I am asking what other DBAs are doing?
>
> Are you creating individuals Oracle SIDs for all kinds of small
> databases for deparmental apps?
>
> Do you have one large-ish Oracle SID that you create multiple schemas
> in for each "separate" database request that you get?
>
> I'd sure appreciate hearing how DBAs working in a large enterprise
> handle this.
>
> Many thanks.
>
> Charles

I suspect your background and experience are more heavily weighted toward SQL Server and you are still somewhat treating the word database, in Oracle, as though it was the word database in SQL Server: As you know they are very different concepts.

I would never, let me rephrase that NEVER, create more than a single database and instance on any piece of hardware unless there was a compelling reason to support multiple SGAs, support multiple SYSTEM tablespaces, support multiple backups, etc.

I think your strategy is a nightmare. Make schemas ... perhaps with separate tablespaces ... not databases and not instances.

--
Daniel Morgan
damorgan_at_x.washington.edu