Re: Many Small Oracle Databases

From: makbo <makbo_at_pacbell.net>
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2004 17:52:32 GMT

Daniel Morgan wrote:

> Charles wrote:

[...]

>> I am asking what other DBAs are doing?
>> Are you creating individuals Oracle SIDs for all kinds of small
>> databases for deparmental apps?

I haven't yet been able to sell my company's developers on it, but the Workspace Manager feature might help -- each user can maintain their own private set of changes to a single base schema. Good for test and development environments, not production.

> I would never, let me rephrase that NEVER, create more than a single
> database and instance on any piece of hardware unless there was a
> compelling reason to support multiple SGAs, support multiple SYSTEM
> tablespaces, support multiple backups, etc.

As a counter-example, we maintain 2-4 Oracle databases and instances on each of a dozen or so Unix boxes without too much trouble. Reasons for doing so include testing different versions of Oracle side by side, different startup parameters for tuning, etc. If you are doing maintenance work on one instance that requires it to be shut down, you don't have to idle the entire server and everyone using it.

This works best if the databases are small, if the data is disposable because it can be refreshed from somewhere else (NOARCHIVELOG mode), if you follow OFA guidelines for directory/filenames, and if you have centralized the management of your INIT.ORA files, TNSNAMES.ORA files, etc.

Like most things, it's a trade-off -- "never rephrase never".

Mark Bole Received on Thu Jan 22 2004 - 11:52:32 CST