Re: Webserver connection pooling and sql trace

From: Ryan Gaffuri <rgaffuri_at_cox.net>
Date: 21 Jan 2004 05:54:12 -0800

vslabs_at_onwe.co.za (Billy Verreynne) wrote in message news:<1a75df45.0312232205.4d1963a3_at_posting.google.com>...
> rgaffuri_at_cox.net (Ryan Gaffuri) wrote
>
> > The software engineers set up middle tier connection pooling. This
> > opens several dedicated processes to the instance and pools user
> > connections.
> >
> > how do I use sql trace with this? statspack is giving me aggregates. I
> > need to see what individual users are doing. Carrie Milsap has a good
> > article on hotsos.com called 'Oracle Operational Timing Data' that
> > warns you to be careful of aggregate data and to use sql trace.
> >
> > Not sure if I can turn off connection pooling for test purposes.
>
> Why do you want to trace users? In this configuration you are not
> dealing with users. The app server deals with users. You deal with
> applications on the app server. Trace and monitor the applications.
>
> Client-server is a software configuration. The clients connecting to
> your database are applications and no longer users.

sorry for the delayed response, Ive been on vacation. we are still in development. Its a big scale up. Im doing pre-emptive tuning. So I want to monitor testing as we go. Its easier that way.

If you read the article by Carrie Milsap, he states that statspack wait events can be misleading because its aggregate data. To find for certain what may be causing the bottlenecks you need to run a 10046 trace. James morle has a nice article on oaktable.com about doing this without using an app server.

development here between software engineers and database people is seperate. I was hoping to find some form of method for handling this myself without having to go to the software engineers. Might not be possible.

Hmm.. there are more and more people using connection pooling. so hopefully some methods will come out over the next year or so.

btw, to the other poster. Yes they are dedicated connections. Received on Wed Jan 21 2004 - 07:54:12 CST