Re: Webserver connection pooling and sql trace

From: <ctcgag_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 07 Jan 2004 01:31:33 GMT

rgaffuri_at_cox.net (Ryan Gaffuri) wrote:
> > > The software engineers set up middle tier connection pooling. This
> > > opens several dedicated processes to the instance and pools user
> > > connections.

Dedicated as in "not MTS"? Or dedicated as in "Only used in the connection pool"?

> > > how do I use sql trace with this? statspack is giving me aggregates.
> > > I need to see what individual users are doing. Carrie Milsap has a
> > > good article on hotsos.com called 'Oracle Operational Timing Data'
> > > that warns you to be careful of aggregate data and to use sql trace.

Why do you need to see what individual users are doing? Are only certain users complaining about performance problems, while the rest aren't? Are the complaining users using "use cases" the rest aren't, or are those users just whiny?

If it's a specific feature that needs tracing, couldn't you have the app server turn the tracing on and off just during that feature?

If it isn't specific features that need tracing, I think that you are no longer following Milsap's method, so his warnings about aggregates probably are no longer meaningful.

Xho

Usenet Newsgroup Service              New Rate! $9.95/Month 50GB