Re: Career path of a ORACLE DBA

From: Ana C. Dent <anacedent_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2004 17:38:17 -0800

John wrote:
> Hi group,
>
> Do you know of any really, realy senior ORACLE DBA? I guess I am
> wondering how long you can work as an ORACLE DBA - or as a technical
> person as a matter of fact. My thinking is that IT is still relatively
> new as a career option. So there may not be a lot of very senior IT
> professionals. So how do you envision your career path as an ORACLE
> DBA will take you? I am interested in knowing some real life cases. Do
> you think it is inevitable that all IT professionals will end up in
> the management?

I've know IT folks who have been employed 20+ years in the industry. A few have 1 year's worth of useful experience repeated 20 times. Others I know are relative "youngsters" with only 5 years in the IT industry but exhibit 25+ years practical experience. So, it all depends. If you think you go to school once and coast into retirement, then you'll find yourself left behind so you better start practice saying, "Would you like your order Super-Sized." Received on Mon Jan 19 2004 - 19:38:17 CST