Re: Oracle 8.1.7 huge performance problem : please help !

From: Bricklen <bricklen-rem_at_yahoo.comz>
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2004 15:38:32 GMT

kouchba wrote:
<snip>
> The tkprof output looks like this and is not linked to any particular
> query :
> SELECT * FROM TEST (which produces the same execution plan on both
> machines ) I also checked that TEST is not fragmented on both extents
> (one single extent)
>
> on Oracle 7.3.4
> elapsed disk rows
> 100.10 65000 200000
>
> on Oracle 8.1.7
> elapsed disk rows
> 153.70 43000 180000
>
> which means it takes less time on Oracle 7.3.4 to make a full scan
> which takes more IO than on Oracle 8.1.7..! That problem is
<snip>
Have you been inserting rows via direct-path? Maybe your high water mark is much higher on the 817 db than the 734 db?

To test this, simply do a CTAS (create table as select), index it the same (don't forget to analyze it!), then try the test again.

Others may have more accurate answers than this, but sometimes it's the little things that are the root cause. I haven't been following this thread too closely, though. Received on Thu Jan 15 2004 - 09:38:32 CST