oraInventory Best Practice

From: Joe <joe.yung_at_ecl-consulting.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2004 17:51:40 +0800

Hi All,

I come across this topic from Metalink, this is what exactly I want to ask. Any idea?

From: Hemant Sharma 06-Jan-04 20:41
Subject: Orainventory standard for multiple version

RDBMS Version: 9.2.0
Operating System and Version: Sun 8
Error Number (if applicable):
Product (i.e. SQL*Loader, Import, etc.): Product Version:

Orainventory standard for multiple version

One of the common method is to create oraInventory unde $ORACLE_BASE. I did run into a article (which I cannot find) where it was suggested to create oraInventory under each $ORACLE_HOME for multiple versions of Oracle. Change oraInst depending on the version being upgraded.

Is there a standard.
Which is the safest way.