Re: Professional or Not (was Database Design)

From: Frank van Bortel <fvanbortel_at_netscape.net>
Date: Fri, 09 Jan 2004 09:51:22 +0100

Daniel Morgan wrote:

> No doubt there are people that could practice medicine that haven't
> graduated from a medical school. Would you want one performing a triple
> bypass on you?

Triple bypasses are not performed by people that graduated med school. They are performed by overpaid surgeons, that graduated so long ago, that basic medical standards have changed since.

Where's your regulation?!? It's up to the people themselves to keep their knowledge up-to-date; even so when the basic standards change. Remember the 'Tune BCHR' thread? Tune BCHR was advertised as true back in the V5/6 days. We know better now.

And that is what professionalism is all about.

YOUR attitude. And I mean that in general. You either take (in this order!) the customer, your profession, and yourself seriously, or you don't.

If you don't keep it up, the market will do the rest. Yes, even in medicine. People go to other hospitals because the team, specialized in whatever just performs better that the same team in another hospital.

It's as simple as that.

So you read the books, participate in newsgroups like this, try things out. And stumble, err, and learn. Hopefully To err is human. Where no errors are made, no one works.

>> Hmmm - I do see a lot from Daniel Morgan.

> Actually I don't think you see.

Of the x mails in this thread, about x/2 is by you - that's a lot, in my book. And it's for everyone to see. Care to count?
--

Regards,
Frank van Bortel