UTL_SMTP: Message header - Message body differentiating

From: Andrew Tindle <tindle_at_xilinx.com>
Date: 7 Jan 2004 04:58:30 -0800

Hi

Not sure whether this is correct forum or whether I should be sending to an SMTP one but here goes.

I have been using a generic packaged procedure, based on UTL_SMTP, to send emails from the database for the previous 18months and which has had no issues.

The latest specification I've received from a customer says that the first line of the message body should be of the following format:

----------------------Body Start------------------

<PART_NUMBER:PartName>

DATA1: Data
DATA2: Data
----------------------Body End--------------------

However, when I compose the email body in this manner and send it, this first line stays in the header of the email and has slightly changed to be:

<PART_NUMBER>: PartName>

i.e. a space after the colon

I've tried a few things to get the data to appear in the message body but can't get it to.

Note:
1) If you replace line 1 with some standard characters, not ":", "<" or ">" and put this in line 2, both appear in the body:

e.g.

----------------------Body Start------------------
<PART_NUMBER:PartName>

DATA1: Data
DATA2: Data
----------------------Body End--------------------

works fine with Line1 of the body being A and Line2 of the body being
<PART_NUMBER.

2) However, if you repeat line1 to line 2:

e.g.

----------------------Body Start------------------

<PART_NUMBER:PartName>
<PART_NUMBER:PartName>

DATA1: Data
DATA2: Data

both line1 and line2 appear in the mail header

i.e. it seems that SMTP recognises the notation:

<Text:Text>

as being part of a header.

I've tried emailing to different mail clients and the same thing occurs.

Any ideas as to how to get this to work?

Many thanks
Andrew Received on Wed Jan 07 2004 - 06:58:30 CST