Re: Professional or Not (was Database Design)

From: Galen Boyer <galenboyer_at_hotpop.com>
Date: 6 Jan 2004 15:19:07 -0600

On Tue, 6 Jan 2004, n-litchfield_at_audit-commission.gov.uk wrote:

> This wouldn't set us up as self-important and arrogant, but
> rather would help gain and give public assurance as to the
> quality, integrity and performance of the profession. If I hire
> a Chartered Accountant or Barrister in the UK I have a comfort
> level as to what I will get. If I hire an MCSE or an OCP my
> only comfort is that they have at least read some introductory
> material to some specific software. It is worlds apart, and
> until this changes i'm afraid that at least to me IT
> Professional is a marketing term rather than a reflection of
> reality.

Well, that's all well and good, but are there any IT accreditations that hold water? The only one that seems to is the Microsoft accreditations (I'm not talking from facts here, I really don't know about accreditations). Are there any database accreditations that would make an interviewer already have a certain level of confidence? If not, how would people suggest that be formed?

> Um does this have anything to do with database design any more?

No. Nice redirect on the subject.

--
Galen Boyer