Re: Database Design

From: Jim Kennedy <kennedy-downwithspammersfamily_at_attbi.net>
Date: Tue, 06 Jan 2004 01:22:15 GMT

"Daniel Morgan" <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu> wrote in message news:1073321751.406119_at_yasure...
> Jim Kennedy wrote:
>
> > Blame Powerpoint.
> > Jim
>
> Ah projectorware.
>
> At the Puget Sound Oracle Users Group, and at my classes at the
> University of Washington slide presentations are prohibited. Anyone that
> expects to present ... had better be prepared to do so with a live
> Oracle database.
>
> --
> Daniel Morgan
> http://www.outreach.washington.edu/ext/certificates/oad/oad_crs.asp
> http://www.outreach.washington.edu/ext/certificates/aoa/aoa_crs.asp
> damorgan_at_x.washington.edu
> (replace 'x' with a 'u' to reply)

Yes, I was referring to a recent news item about someone blaming Powerpoint for the space shuttle tile problem. The gist of the article (title something like "Powerpoint makes you dumb") was that the amount of detailed information that you could display in Powerpoint is much more limited than properly designed graphs and a paper. The PowerPoint Presentation crowd had a tendency to dumb down the illustration and points to the point that upper management was making decisions based on heavily consolidated information. I have a tendency to agree that sometimes boiling your presentation down to 5 points a page can really lose the important detail for making decisions. In short PP was good for sales illustrations and that is about it. Jim Received on Mon Jan 05 2004 - 19:22:15 CST