Re: Where is Oracle’s Grid ?

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Mon, 05 Jan 2004 17:00:05 -0800

Joel Garry wrote:

>>10g runs just fine on a PIII W2K SP4 machine with 512MB RAM. How much
>>smaller can you get?

> I simply don't believe all three 10G tiers will run on such a machine,
> since the two tiers that I bet you haven't included are documented to
> require 512M each. And my experience with previous versions has been
> that the minimum is optimistic, at best.

You are correct. I was only referring to the database.

>>And Mogen's article? Available only to IOUG members so most can't read
>>it ... and I am not impressed: By his article that is.

> Fair enough. But I'd still like to know what is not impressive.

I just don't buy his arguments. He is approaching from a perspective that may well be his ... but isn't shared by me and also not by many other developers I've worked with. I don't have time to deal with it paragraph by paragraph but if you'd like to float some of them here I, and no doubt others, will likely comment on them.

This might also be a useful service for those that didn't have access to the original. Provided, of course, doing so would not violate any IOUG copy restrictions.

--
Daniel Morgan
damorgan_at_x.washington.edu