Re: Database Design

From: Tony <andrewst_at_onetel.net.uk>
Date: 5 Jan 2004 04:15:39 -0800

Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu> wrote in message news:<1073258709.842527_at_yasure>...
> <RANT>
> We are the only "profession" in which practitioners expect to be able to
> work without credential. No one is practicing medicine, law, accounting,
> engineering, dentistry, pharmacy, etc. with so little evidence of skill.
> Consider that anyone of us could walk into a pharmacy, count pills, and
> put a label on the bottle. Yet no government in North America, Europe,
> Australia, New Zealand, or any other first world country, would let us
> do so without a pharmacy degree and passing a government sponsored exam.
>
> So we pay for our "wild west" mentality by watching our jobs being
> offshored to those as qualified as we are ... because there are no
> official qualifications to do what we do.
> </RANT>

I could not agree with you more. You only have to look at some of the postings that appear on sites like this one: "My company have tasked me with building a database to handle all our payroll and accounts for 5000 employees. I know some Visual Basic and once saw Access over someone else's shoulder. Please advise how to go about designing a database". I made that up, but we have all ready postings just like that.

But could anyone ever seriously post to eng.construct.buildings or whatever: "My company have tasked me with building a new office block to house 5000 employees. I know some woodwork, and once hodded bricks on a building site during the summer vacation. Please advise how to go about designing a 15-storey building"? Received on Mon Jan 05 2004 - 06:15:39 CST