Re: Database Design

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Fri, 02 Jan 2004 12:54:46 -0800

Nan wrote:

> Hello-
>
> I recently came across an application that has 400+ tables in an
> Oracle database. The tables do not have referential integrity
> contraints between them. For example a record in a child table can
> exist without a corresponding row in the parent table. Or a data
> column can contain a value that is not present in the master table
> containing all different values.
>
> What are the typical reasons for such a database design without
> referential constraints ?
>
> Thanks,
> Nan.

Stupidity
Ignorance
Port from mainframe app without invervention of synapses Creation of mediocrity under the banner of platform indepdendence Attitude that your data integrity problems are not their issue Attitude that your data integrity problems are $ for their consultants

Not that I have a strong opinion you understand. ;-)

--
Daniel Morgan
damorgan_at_x.washington.edu