Buffer cache statistics (ratios) and CBO SQL optimization?

From: Geomancer <pharfromhome_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 24 Dec 2003 07:38:47 -0800

Can some guru please enlighten me?

I have been reading the threads about why buffer hit ratios are useless and yet I'm having trouble reconciling this with the Oracle documentation and my limited understanding of Oracle tuning.

For example, Vadim Tropashko, who works for Real World Performance group at Oracle says caching ratios are an important part of CBO internals because the CBO's goal is to minimize "physical" reads.

http://www.dbazine.com/tropashko3.html

3) Data Caching. With caching a simplistic model where the cost is based upon the number of logical IOs is no longer valid: cost model adjustment and caching statistics is necessary. Received on Wed Dec 24 2003 - 09:38:47 CST