Re: Oracle9i on Intel vs UltraSPARC

From: Bob Jones <email_at_me.not>
Date: Sat, 20 Dec 2003 01:11:24 GMT

"Greg Angevine" <gangevine_at_cognera.com> wrote in message news:oFGEb.1583$Ur.63418_at_localhost...
> Hi all,
>
> Does anyone have any strong words about Oracle9i on Itanium2 vs. on same
> range SUN boxes? I'm trying to make up my mind on which is better, and
then
> which is most cost effecting. I'm trying to mitigate the OS as a factor...
>
> Thanks for any help!
>
> Greg.

I will no doubt going with Sun boxes. If you have priced Itanium systems on the web, you will find they are actually more expensive. Bear in mind still a lot of software hasn't been ported to Itanium.

It's hard not to talk about OSs when talking about hardware. After all they are what make the hardware useful. Solaris is definitely a better OS to run Oracle servers than Windows or Linux. Received on Fri Dec 19 2003 - 19:11:24 CST