Re: Standby Database Activation for TEST

From: Joel Garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 19 Dec 2003 17:24:44 -0800

ralbertson_at_comcast.net (rjpfal) wrote in message news:<2932a99f.0312190711.666666ab_at_posting.google.com>...
> Can anyone tell me whether there are any implications to the primary
> database if I decide to activate 1 of 2 standby databases in order to
> test some db configuration options?
>
> Once I am completed testing I intend to rebuild this standby as I know
> upon activation it cannot be placed back in standby. I just want to be
> sure I do not impact the existing running primary and the other
> failover standby by my activating the other for my test purposes. I
> have already set the STATE for the acrhive dest on this standby to
> DEFER as we have been running some read-only mode tests that required
> stopping and starting of the standby database.
>
> Your assistance and wisdom is greatly appreciated.

Check out http://metalink.oracle.com/metalink/plsql/ml2_documents.showDocument?p_database_id=BUG&p_id=2449124

It is possible that croaking your standby db will result in being unable to switch logs on your primary db without a resetlogs, as the archiver tries to write a reopen forever. Rare, but it happened to me recently on 817. That's why I was wondering what 9.2 had to say about a new limiting parameter...

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
http://www.yamaha-motor.co.jp/eng/papercraft/