Re: Oracle online backups -- switching to archivelog mode as necessary?

From: Michael P <usenet_at_krimedawg.org>
Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2003 11:30:51 -0800

On Thu, 18 Dec 2003 22:41:26 -0800, Daniel Morgan wrote:

> Unless your management has invested a lot of money in Oracle software
> and doesn't believe the data being stored has any value I suspect your
> motivations are different from those of your management.

Management claims to think backups are important. And yet, this company has none. I suspect I care more about backups than management does.

Management invested a lot of money in Oracle software largely because they didn't know cheaper alternatives were available, I think.

> You seem to think your job is to avoid learning
> new things and stretching too hard. Perhaps I am misreading you but that
> is what you've communicated to me.

MY job is to do what I can with the time I have allocated. I like learning new things, but learning new things takes time. I came to usenet hoping to save some time and get some backups going. I knew my plan wasn't an ideal situation but what we have currently is NO BACKUPS, and if I have to spend a week on this, it's not going to happen, and we'll be stuck with NO BACKUPS once again.

YOUR job, on the other hand, is apparently to be a cock on Usenet.

> Just one educator's opinion for what its worth. And if you aren't
> interested ... I've got a few students that would love to take your job
> away from you.

I'm good at my job. My job is Java development. I work at a company with 20 people and a tech staff of THREE, though, so my job also involves UNIX system administration, something I'm also very good at. Recently, our Java developer who had Oracle knowledge left the company, so now I am forced to take over that, too. I'm not a good Oracle DBA. I admitted that in my original post, remember?

I didn't come here to get career advice. I didn't come here so that you could question the value I provide to my employer. Maybe you could step down from your little educational Ivory Tower long enough to see that the real world sometimes dictates non-ideal solutions.

I'm sorry I didn't give you a full back-story, but I came here with a question, one which you conveniently didn't answer (thanks to Paul Drake as the only one who actually did), and I didn't realize I needed to give a complete explanation detailing my situation and workload before I could get an answer. A simple "what you want to do is not a good idea" could've sufficed (see Ana C. Dent's response), but instead you take it upon yourself to attack me and my ability to do my job. Received on Fri Dec 19 2003 - 13:30:51 CST