Re: Oracle online backups -- switching to archivelog mode as necessary?

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2003 22:41:26 -0800

Michael P wrote:

> I apologize for what might be an obvious question, but I've been forced to
> take on an Oracle DBA role for a few months. I have fair experience with
> relational databases, but I haven't done many Oracle DBA tasks.
>
> One of the things I'd like to do is implement online backups, preferably
> without rman.
>
> Every thing I read about online backups makes it sound like you need to
> have archivelog on when you use them. I'm wondering if I can just turn it
> on when I want to do a backup.

<snipped>

> Thanks,
> Michael P

Unless your management has invested a lot of money in Oracle software and doesn't believe the data being stored has any value I suspect your motivations are different from those of your management.

Management likely expects their data to be secure and to be able to recover from a crash. You seem to think your job is to avoid learning new things and stretching too hard. Perhaps I am misreading you but that is what you've communicated to me.

I would strongly suggest that you stop looking for the quick-fix, easy solution, and instead focus on putting in some heavy-lifting and gaining new and valuable skills that will help you with your career and your future.

If you can figure out anyway to learn and implement RMAN you'd be a fool not to take advantage of the situation and do so.

Just one educator's opinion for what its worth. And if you aren't interested ... I've got a few students that would love to take your job away from you.

--
Daniel Morgan
damorgan_at_x.washington.edu